Walking Tour • September 24th - 30th
Encrucijada de la Cultura means Crossroads of Culture and truly there are few places that showcase this more than the south of Spain.
Experience the beauty of Spain, and the wealth of culture that Ronda and Grazalema have to offer. This trip offers a trek into the south of Spain where Moorish architecture and European villages meet.
The Sierra de Grazalema surprises visitors with its fir forests and cork oak extensions that create the "green gem" hidden in the south of Spain while Ronda is a romantic and charming place with its mix of cultural legacies, picturesque white-washed villages that reveal past and present influences by the different cultures that have settled here.
This will be the backdrop to our pilgrimage into self-discovery and sisterhood. Along with your guides, you'll find a wealth of spiritual, and cultural experiences awaiting you on this Spain journey.
- 6 nights in picturesque hotels in Ronda, Grazalema, and Benaoján.
- 7 delicious breakfasts
- 6 Dinners featuring Spanish delights
- Transfer from and to airport
- Luggage transfer to hotels on Days 2,4 and 6
- Private transfer from Ronda to Grazalema on Day 2
- Private transfers to and from walks on Day 3, 4 and 6
- Train fare on Day 5 of the walk
- Detailed route descriptions and maps
- Experienced leaders who know the Spanish life-style and have over 30 years of traveling experience.
Trip Does Not Include
- Lunches and snacks
- Flights to or from Spain
- Travel insurance
- The Cost of Covid-19 testing, and travel requirements for admission into Spain and the US
- Transfers by public transportation not listed above
- Personal expenses such as drinks, phone calls, and tips
- Any items that have not been specifically mentioned above.
Prices are based on rooms with two occupants.
- Day 1: Arrival in Ronda
- Day 2: Grazalema walk
- Day 3: Walk to Benaocaz or Villaluenga
- Day 4: Travel To Benaoján via Montejaque
- Day 5: Walk Through the Guadiaro Valley
- Day 6: Walk From Montejaque to Ronda
- Day 7: End of Trip / Return Home
Day 1: Arrival in Ronda
A private transfer will pick us up via minibus from the airport in Malaga (AGP). From Malaga we will travel to the beautiful town of Ronda which sits on a sandstone plateau, overlooking a spectacular gorge, El Tajo, which literally means ‘the Cut’.
Day 2: Grazalema (2.5miles / 5.5 Miles)
Your luggage will be transferred to our next accommodation as we head out to walk. Grazalema is a picturesque mountain village with steep lanes, bright white-washed houses, sunlit patios, and balconies full of flowers. Invaded by the Moors Grazalema boasts architecture that is both steeped in the European tradition as well as exotic Moroccan motifs.
Day 3: Benaocas or Villaluenga (7.5 miles / 9 miles)
Walkthrough a classic limestone landscape dotted with cortijos - traditional farmhouse complexes found across the countryside. Lovely woods of evergreen oaks and typical Mediterranean vegetation on your way to Benaocaz - an untouched 'Pueblo Blanco' with historic remains dating back to Roman times.
Day 4: Benaojan via Montejaque (11miles)
Your luggage will be transferred to our next accommodation as we head out to walk.
Our walk starts in the lovely village of Villaluenga del Rosario - home to a unique 'square bullring' carved right out of the rock. From here, you descend into the unspoiled valley of Llanos del Republicano, where the river disappears mysteriously into a limestone sink.
Day 5: Guadiaro Valley (6 miles)
The day begins taking the train to Jimera de Libar. When you arrive in town, a picturesque nature walk through peaceful surroundings awaits, walking from Jimera de Libar train station back to Benaoján.
Day 6: Motejaque to Ronda (7 miles)
Today, the route starts following a section of the ancient cobbled path, leading into fields and family farms full of character, leading to the end of the route in Ronda. Which is widely regarded as one of the prettiest towns in Andalusia.
Day 7: Trips End
After enjoying a lovely breakfast you will be taken back to the airport via private transfer via minibus.
The trip is open to 9 women.
Prices and dates may be subject to change due to travel and visa restrictions in the EU.
The nearest airport is Málaga (APG)
Travel time to Ronda from Málaga city center is 3 hours.
Travel Insurance is not included, however, it will be required on all trips.
If you would like our recommendations on where to purchase travel insurance see the links below.
You can also ask your health insurance provider to give you a quote on travel insurance.
Covid-19 Travel Info
Spain's Covid-19 Travel Requirements
Please follow the guidelines set up by Spain for admission to the country.
US Covid-19 Travel Requirements
Please follow the guidelines set up by the U.S. for ease of travel and re-admission into the country.
AWJ Covid-19 Restrictions
While participating in events held or sponsored by A Woman's Journey, consistent with CDC and international travel guidelines, participants are encouraged to practice hand hygiene, “social distancing” and wear face coverings indoors to reduce the risks of exposure to COVID-19. Because COVID-19 is extremely contagious and is spread mainly from person-to-person contact, A Woman's Journey will fill the preventative measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19 laid out in the country of our trip's destination and in the United States. However, A Woman's Journey cannot guarantee that its participants, partners, or others in attendance will not become infected with COVID-19.
In light of the ongoing spread of COVID-19, individuals who fall within any of the categories below should not engage in A Woman's Journey events and/or other face-to-face fundraising activities. By joining us on a A Woman's Journey event, you certify that you do not fall into any of the following categories:
1. Individuals who currently or within the past fourteen (14) days have experienced any symptoms associated with COVID-19, which include fever, cough, and shortness of breath among others;
2. Individuals who have traveled at any point in the past fourteen (14) days either internationally or to a community in the U.S. that has experienced or is experiencing sustained community spread of COVID-19; or
3. Individuals who believe that they may have been exposed to a confirmed or suspected case of COVID-19 or have been diagnosed with COVID-19 and are not yet cleared as non-contagious by state or local public health authorities or the health care team responsible for their treatment.
Ready to begin your Pilgrimage?
On receipt of your booking confirmation of the invoice, a deposit of $1000, as well as a $50 non-refundable application fee is required. The deposit will be deducted from the total tour cost. $1000 will be due July 1st. The full tour cost must be paid to A Woman’s Journey at the latest August 24th, 2022.
If you have to cancel your trip for any reason whatsoever, the following cancellation fees are applicable:
- Cancellations from 60 to 30 days before departure date: 80% of the tour cost will be refunded
- Cancellations from 29 to 15 days before departure date: 60% of the tour cost will be refunded
- Cancellations from 14 to 9 days before departure date: 40% of the tour cost will be refunded
- Cancellations from 8 days of the intended departure date will be non-refundable
Any cancellation refunds will exclude any and all credit card & processing fees.
Single rooms are available upon request for an additional fee. They are only provided for up to 3 rooms and are only available on a first come first serve basis.